Phoenix Ninety-Nines Chapter Scholarship
Helping to promote women in aviation and support them in reaching their aviation goals.
Each year The Phoenix Chapter of the Ninety-Nines offers up to two $2,000 scholarships to women in Arizona. The scholarships are to be used by the recipients to assist in obtaining a private pilot certificate, sport pilot certificate or for an advanced rating or training to further their pursuit in aviation. Applications must be submitted by June 15th of each respective year. Scholarship winners will be announced on or before September 15th of the respective year.
Private Pilot or Light Sport Pilot Certificate Scholarship:
- $500 upon completion of written exam
- $500 following successful solo
- $500 upon completion of long cross country (if required). If not, $500 will be paid upon completion of the flight hours required to complete the training.
- $500 upon completion of successful checkride
Advanced rating or training:
- $500 upon completion of written exam (if required). If not $500 will be paid upon completion of the flight hours required to complete the training.
- $1,000 upon completion of the flight hours required to complete the training.
- $500 upon completion of successful checkride or course completion.
- Female U.S. citizen and resident of the state of Arizona
- At least 17 years of age
- Proficient in English
Applications will be evaluated by three judges, who are qualified pilots but not members of the Phoenix chapter. The judges will consider applicants based on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s commitment to aviation
- Strength of the Personal Essay
- Ability to achieve goals
- Applicants current or planned involvement in the aviation community and the Ninety-Nines
- Recommendation letters
- Other scholarships previously received to fund aviation training
Please scan and submit a single PDF that includes completed application and all required documents to the Phoenix Ninety-Nines Scholarship Committee Chair, [email protected] Applications must be received by the June 15th deadline of each year.
Scholarship Application Form
To apply for the Phoenix Chapter Scholarship Program, please download the instructions/checklist and application using the buttons below.DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS
- The $2,000 scholarship will be disbursed in increments and the applicant will have to initially pay for the training. The scholarship is designed to reimburse part of the training costs. Each scholarship will be paid to the applicant/winner upon receipt of sufficient proof of completion, such as: copies of written test results, copies of logbook entries signed by certified flight instructor, new certificate, or receipts for fuel/aircraft rental for hours flown.
- Recipients who successfully complete their training will receive a one-year membership in the Phoenix Chapter of the Ninety-Nines.
- Any unused monies will revert back to the Phoenix Chapter of the Ninety-Nines Scholarship Fund.
- Recipient(s) agree to complete certificate or training course within one year. The one-year time frame begins September 15th of the year the scholarship was awarded.
If you have any questions or require help please contact the Scholarship Chair at: [email protected].
Ninety-Nines Fly NOW Award
The Fly Now Awards are scholarships of up to $6,000 offered to Student Pilot Members of the 99s based on completion of specific training milestones.
Eligibility: To be eligible, applicants must hold a student pilot certificate, have been an official Student Pilot Member three months prior to the application deadline and show financial need.
Offered by the Ninety-Nines twice annually, with approximately twenty scholarships awarded each cycle.
Deadlines to apply: April 1st and October 1st each year
Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Foundation Award
Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships are for licensed pilot members to advance in training and education in aviation and aerospace, and will pay for:
- One full additional pilot certificate or rating
- Jet type rating
- Up to $10,000 renewable academic scholarship
- One full technical training or certification course
- Emergency Maneuver Training, in memory of Vicki Cruse
- International Scholarship for pilots in developing countries, in memory of Kitty Houghton.
Eligibility: Applicant must be a member of The Ninety-Nines, Inc. continuously for one full year as of January 1st. Note: There is no length of membership requirement for Vicki Cruse or Kitty Houghton Scholarships. There are chapter quotas for applications. For a complete list of criteria and instructions on applying, please visit the website listed below.
Offered by the Ninety-Nines once per year, with approximately twenty scholarships awarded.
Deadline to apply: January 1st of each year
Samantha Resop won an AE Scholarship to earn her Instrument Rating.
Additional Flight Training Scholarships:
Phoenix Chapter Scholarship Archives
Phoenix Chapter Scholarship Winners:
2018 — Anne Muirhead, Felecia Zahn
2017 — Sherlyn Halloran, Courtney Smith
2016 — Diana LeSueur, Sara Mazzarella
2015 — Emily Johnson
2014 — Kayla Waskowski, Leah Thomas
2013 — Diana LeSueur
2012 — Theresa Farley, Sherlyn Halloran
Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarship Fund Winners from Phoenix Chapter:
2019 — Stephanie Frazier (Instrument), Felecia Zahn (Multi-Engine add-on)
2018 — Magdalena Jarda (Multi-Engine add-on), Tessie Quintana (Instrument), Samantha Sizemore (Instrument), Keely Costello (Vicki Cruse Emergency Maneuver Training)
2017 — Emily Johnson (Multi-Engine add-on), Sara Mazzarella (Instrument)
2016 — Emily Johnson (Instrument)
2015 — Diana LeSueur (Instrument), Jeanne Rieck (Multi-Engine add-on), Courtney Smith (Multi-Engine add-on)
2013 — Sherlyn Halloran (Multi-Engine Instructor and CFI renewal), Theresa Farley (Instrument)
2012 — Gabrielle Palmas (Instrument)
2010 — Marina Saettone (Utility Vertical Reference Course-Helicopter)
AEMSF Fly NOW Winners from Phoenix Chapter:
2019 — Summer Martin
2018 — Isabella Del Principe, Emily Spratte
2017 — Lauren Bills, Stephanie Frazier, Amber MacKenzie, Klara Olcott
2016 — Isabella Diep, Magdalena Jarda, Claudia Marquez, Sara Mazzarella
2014 — Audree Davis, Emily Johnson
2013 — Diana LeSueur
2008 — Mallory Schreck